Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

Friends

Today has been a very eventful day....to say the least.  Not exclusively for me but others also.  I have also been sidelined with sciatica today. I have been laying on the couch thinking about today and actually felt compelled to get up and post about "Friends".  So what do my bad back and friends have in common?? The sciatica started Wednesday and I ignored it, went to the gym this morning.  My mantra this am should have been, "good luck with that".  It didn't work out too well for me, after 25 minutes on the treadmill--I was toast, limped to the ab coaster and I was done.  But as I said before that was at 6 a.m. and I had already been up for 3 hours awakened by a phone call from a friend.  (Disclaimer:  no REAL names will be used!)  Like I said around 3 am my cell was ringing and I was trying to awaken from the REM fog.  After deciding that it was a phone ringing, I answered it.  It was a friend that has just gotten partial news about a parent that was devastating and wanted me to see if I could help her find out more.  So, (as my co-workers say that I know everybody) I called another friend and she was able to supply horrible but accurate details.  I then called my first friend back and gave her the bad news.  We talked for a few minutes.  I tried to offer non-biased/medical/friend/accurate/realistic information and advice and we hung up.  So, at 4 a.m. of course, I am awake after all that and in the silence and darkness of my house I began to think....dangerous I know, but it happened.  I thought, how lucky am I that first I have a friend that thought to call me and ask for help and a second friend that I called at 3:30 in the morning and without hesitation answered my call and helped me help someone else that she doesn't even know.  Wikapedia friend and those are examples of a friend.  Later on today, I was headed to give a presentation and my phone chimed for a text.  I looked at it and it was a third friend and the text read
...."What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies."-Aristotle - Thought of you instantly! 
What an amazing compliment.  I have to say, I got a little teary and my heart smiled.  Finally, another text tonight from another friend and we were just texting and catching up and I told her a tidbit about my day and she responded with
..."What would we do without each other, honestly?  Life is too short and full of crap, we have to stick together just to make it through.  Call me if you need me.  I count on you more than you know"
 (insert smiling heart again) I have other friends, too.  Some that I talk to more than others and some I see more than others.  Today has been a epiphany for me in the friend department.  Don't get me wrong, I knew I had friends, but after today, I KNOW I have friends.

How about you?  Are you friend rich?  The saying, you have to be a friend to have a friend is being chanted in my ear by my subconscious mother.....I think I have heard her say that MANY times.  I only hope that my girls can "be a friend and have friends" -- 'cause we ALL know how girls can be.....whew....drama, drama, drama!  One last thought for you to ponder.......
Friends are Choosen Family


Though born into a family
with providential ties
friends are chosen family
we respect and prize

Though born into a family
with inherent kinks
friends are chosen family
we perk up by links

Though born into a family
with luck of the draw
friends are chosen family
we embrace with awe

Though born into a family
with familial traits
friends are chosen family
we add to our fates

Though born into a family
with no vote to cast
friends are chosen family
we pick out to last

Though born into a family
with genetic codes
friends are chosen family
we fit into modes

(P.S. - One day, I will learn to post pictures to my blog and spice it up!  Until then, it just words.)


No comments:

Post a Comment